If you’re not getting a good night’s rest, or you’re waking up several times during the night to adjust your sleeping position, it may not be your mattress. It may be the pillows you’re sleeping with! Instead of a flat pillow, consider investing in a wedge-shaped pillow for a more restful sleep.
Medical wedge pillows have a plethora of benefits from reducing snoring and improving sleep apnea to reducing the swelling and pain from Varicose Veins. However, even if you’re sleeping perfectly fine, your sleep quality can be improved with a wedge pillow.
Let’s talk about the benefits!
- They can prevent snoring. Snoring and sleep apnea are a result of gravity working against the respiratory system, collapsing your airway when you're laying horizontally. Utilizing a wedge pillow can gently reposition your body, giving it a slight slope; which opens your airway and eliminates snoring and sleep apnea.
- They can reduce acid reflux. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), or acid reflux, is a chronic condition where stomach acid goes into your esophagus and irritates the esophageal lining. When this happens, people can feel a burning sensation in their chest after eating and when they lie down. If you are a chronic sufferer from acid reflux, having a wedge pillow to elevate your upper body while reclining can prevent acid from traveling up your esophagus and causing the burning sensations.
- They can improve back pain. For people who suffer from back pain, wedge pillows behind the shoulders or more commonly placed under the knees can improve the symptoms. A wedge pillow can provide enough incline to correct misalignment with the spine. While those who suffer from upper back pain benefit more from wedge pillows, people with lower back pain can see a reduction in symptoms as well.
- They can improve blood circulation, especially to your legs. If you suffer from Varicose Veins, also known as lower extremity venous abnormality, then you may want to invest in a leg support wedge pillow to reduce the pain and swelling in your legs. A wedge pillow will better position your legs, so your extremities have better blood circulation when you’re lying down.
- They can improve sleep quality. Even if you have no medical need for a wedge pillow, the right wedge pillow can give you a better night's sleep. Whether you occasionally wake up with aches and pains or you just can't get comfortable on your mattress; a wedge pillow can give you the good night's rest you deserve and crave. You will stay asleep longer and feel more rested and refreshed when you wake up. Giving you more energy to get through your day.
Wedge pillows are also useful after you’ve undergone surgery or if you’re pregnant. If you’re suffering from any kind of chronic swelling, then being able to elevate parts of your body can greatly reduce the amount of daily suffering you’re experiencing.